Vehicle Batteries at Risk in Harsh Winter Weather
Interstate Batteries Offers Cold Weather Battery Care Tips
DALLAS — As Old Man Winter begins to grip the nation, Interstate Batteries encourages motorists to protect and care for that part of the vehicle a driver depends on most each day. Cold weather can influence a vehicle engine to put twice as much stress on the battery.
"Basic battery maintenance can prevent freezing and battery damage from severe winter weather," said Gale Kimbrough, Interstate Batteries technical service manager. "Preventative measures — such as keeping vehicles in garages, purchasing a battery heater and choosing the right type of battery for specific regions of the country — are always helpful in conserving your battery's life."
Kimbrough recommends this 10-step winter battery care checklist:
- Have the vehicle battery tested at every oil change.
- Have the battery tested for free at Interstate All Battery Centers and Firestone dealers.
- Always choose the appropriate battery for your vehicle, paying specific attention to batteries recommended for harsh winter regions.
- Consider replacing the battery if it is approaching three-to-five years old; this is the average life of a battery depending on climate.
- Secure all connections on the battery and check for signs of corrosion. If possible, have the connections checked by a professional.
- Inspect the battery case for signs of extreme bulging, cracking or leaking. If signs are present, it's time to replace it.
- Avoid damage to the battery by keeping connections tight with a snug-fitting battery in the battery tray.
- If the battery is not a sealed model, check the fluid levels using distilled water to fill any cells that appear low.
- Always wear protective eyewear, remove all jewelry and wear long sleeves to protect the skin.
- Whenever possible, keep the vehicle in a garage overnight, especially in areas with extremely harsh winter conditions.
In just 30 seconds, Interstate All Battery Centers and Firestone locations provide motorists with a free printout analysis of the vehicle battery condition.
To find more information and a local Interstate All Battery Center or Interstate Batteries dealer, visit interstatebatteries.com or interstatebatteries.mobi.
Learn more about Interstate All Battery Center franchise opportunities...
Interstate All Battery Center provides Every Battery for Every Need. The retail unit of Interstate Batteries offers more than 16,000 batteries, from cell phone, hearing aid and laptop batteries to alkaline and automotive batteries. All Battery operates more than 200 locations throughout North America. To find the nearest site, go to interstatebatteries.com. For information on franchise opportunities, visit allbatteryfranchise.com.